Today has been quite the day. I've decided that I cannot breastfeed anymore. With Mastitis, and the other nipple problems I've been having, I'm just D-O-N-E. I feel so bad about stopping, but I have no idea why because I'm still going to pump and give her breast milk in a cup or bottle... speaking of, I tried to wean her morning feeding from the boob to the bottle this morning. After a half hour of kicking, screaming, and crying (by both of us), I finally got her to take one drink of the bottle. I feel like such a bad mom, but it's just too painful to feed her anymore. She's old enough, right? She'll drink the bottle if she's hungry enough, right? I'm not causing any emotional harm, right? I was reading that while I'm weaning, I'm supposed to keep telling her that I love her and that mom's milk is all-gone and reassure her that I'm still there for her. This is so hard!!!! I keep trying to talk myself out of it, telling myself that I can nurse her, even if it hurts. But I know that this is best for right now. I just have to be strong! Why do moms get so attached to breastfeeding?! I think that I'm more attached than Maida is! I've had friends tell me the same thing and I never understood it until now.
Some pictures from this morning...
Offering the bottle to Maida. She seems interested and is leaning towards the bottle!
The bottle ended up across the room on the floor. She did NOT want it at all!!!
Us after an hours worth of fighting. Mom won! Yes, I finally got her to take it. But look at that stubborn look on her face. She's like, "Yeah, well, I'll get you next time!"




4 comments:
Don't think you are a bad mother. Maida is old enough to be on a bottle or sippy cup. There are nipples on bottles that resemble the breast. Your pediatrician call tell you more.
Poor Kara-- It is hard. I cried for a week straight when I weaned Abby. She would scream bloody murder in her crib and Joel would have to block the door so I wouldn't go in there. Once that week was done Abby become a much better sleeper (easier to get to bed, anyone could do it, and wasn't waking up as much at night anymore). It is hard though. I am wondering if I should quit with Emily. I am just not producing enough. I really wanted to go until 18 mo. though. We will see. You did great to do it as long as you did Kara. A lot of moms don't even give thier babies that.
Hey Kara-
You and Maida will be fine! You should be proud of how long you made it! Natti was completely on sippy cups by 11 months, and you can still give her breast milk in a sippy! Hannah is right- bed time and naps will be a lot easier once she is weaned. You can do it! Heidi
I'm so glad that you were able to breastfeed Maida as long as possible. I totally understand that you don't want to stop. I was the same way. Kade breastfed until he was 13 months, and I was sad when he quit and kind of felt lost when it came to feeding him. But you will adapt quickly, and so will Maida. Every thing will work out for you guys!
Post a Comment