Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Rat Poisoning

As I was cleaning up this morning, I noticed that the "junk drawer" in our kitchen was open. I thought about closing it, but didn't want to waste my time walking clear across the kitchen just to shut the drawer. So I made a mental note to do it later. Five minutes later I looked down at Maida to see that she had a plastic bag and she was chewing on it. This has happened before and it turns out that she had pulled it out of the garbage, so I just assumed that is what had happened this time. I casually said, "Maida, put it back in the garbage." She looked at me and took the bag out to say, "Ya!" and that is when I saw it. SHE WAS CHEWING ON RAT POISON that she pulled out of the "junk drawer" (I didn't even know she could reach in there!)!!!!!!!! I quickly took the bag of rat poison away from her and tried to figure out exactly how much she might have eaten, since she had also chewed a hole in the bag. I couldn't tell. I IM-ed Erik at school and he told me to call Poison Control right away.

Poison Control was so helpful! They told me that I probably had nothing to worry about because rat poison usually just works like Coumadin (warfarin) does. It acts like a blood thinner and unless she ate a whole whole whole lot of it, it probably wouldn't affect her. Luckily (and ironically), Erik had just taken a test on warfarin yesterday! So when I talked with him, he knew all about what I was talking about and how to handle the situation. (I have a feeling that I'm gonna love having doctor for a husband!)

Anyway, Maida is okay, I've calmed down, and we've learned our lesson! The "junk drawer" needs to stay shut at all times because little Miss Maida is getting taller and more curious every day. I'm just thankful that nothing bad happened.

1 comments:

The Kruchowski's said...

Oh my goodness! Thankfully everything is ok! Poision Controls number is a mommy must have. Dont worry- we have called them twice! The joys of being a mommy!