I know that most of you have already heard about the scare with bisphenol A, a chemical used in polycarbonate plastic and other shatterproof plastic food containers, like baby bottles. Apparently animal testing has shown that BPA has hormone-like effects on the reproductive system and has been linked to problems with obesity, early puberty, hyperactivity, and abnormal sexual behavior and reproductive cycles. I read some studies that say that it could even be the cause of an increased rate of diabetes and autism. W-O-W! I know that all of these studies really say nothing is "for sure," and if you've already raised your children with no fear of this, you're probably saying, "Ohh pa-leeeease, my kids drank seven plastic bottles a day for the first year of their life and nothing is wrong with them." Well, even with the thousands of babies who drank from plastic bottles that are okay, and even with the numerous studies claiming that bisphenol A is nothing to worry about, being the type of mother I am, I'm worried about it!
Currently we have been using Avent baby bottles, and before we switched to those we were using Dr. Browns. I found a chart online of the bisphenol A contained in these bottles that I'm posting below. According to this chart, Maida has been exposed to quite a lot of it already.
Even though she only gets about three bottles a week, it still makes me scared! Erik was first alarmed to this when he heard on NPR (his favorite radio station) that the state of Minnesota introduced a bill to ban bisphenol A in children's products! Along with a couple other states that tried to pass this same bill, it failed. I'm guessing that it would be next to impossible to ban something like this. Everything for kids these days are made of plastic... bottles, bowls, toys, teething rings, anything you can think of!... which leads me to my next point... if Maida is going to come in contact with bisphenol A in numerous other places, why would I go to great lengths just to get a bisphenol A-free baby bottle? Is it really going to make a difference? I don't have that answer, but if you are interested in reading more about the science behind the harmful effects of bisphenol A, here's a good site: http://www.thinkbabybottles.com/learn2.htm
Here are a few other articles I found online if you are interested in reading more about the effects of bisphenol A.
http://www.usatoday.com/money/industries/health/2007-08-02-bisphenol_N.htm
http://www.allheadlinenews.com/articles/7010330319
http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/nationworld/sns-ap-parenting-glass-bottles,0,5236549.story?page=1
Through all of my researching I have decided to order some new baby bottles. I'm the "better-be-safe-than-sorry" mom, the mom who breaks up her baby's shots into five different days instead of conveniently getting them all at once on one day! I originally thought that I would order the Born Free glass bottles, but now that Maida is up and running, carrying her own bottles, I really don't think that would be a good idea, especially with how active she is. Somehow Maida and glass does not mix well! Here are a few of the alternatives that I'm looking into...
* Wee*Go Bottle http://www.shopbabylife.com/weego-bottle.html
* Siliskin bottle http://silikids.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=S&Product_Code=Siliskin_8oz&Category_Code=
* ThinkBaby bottle http://thinkbabybottles.3dcartstores.com/Twin-Pack--9oz-baby-bottle_p_5-9.html
I'll let you know which ones we decide order! I'm going to present my research to Erik and from there we'll make a decision. I hope that you take the time to research this for yourself and if you have a baby, to consider the risks of biphenol A also, and possibly make the switch along with me.
Pictured above: WeeGo Bottle




2 comments:
That is so funny that you would just mention this. I have been looking into the plastics myself after hearing on the news how it is used in baby bottles. My kids don't use bottles so that isn't an issue but it is even in their sippy cups (which we use all the time). The gerber cups appear to be safe though. What else have you discovered that they come in contact with. I hate having anything like that around my kids.
Post a Comment