Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Her First Lesson


I had to document this after being so surprised at what Maida knows, learns, and hears...

A couple days ago Maida and I were playing in Maida's room. We had the little portable heater on in there because it was a little chilly that morning. As we were playing, Maida noticed the heater for the first time and reached out to touch it. I quick grabbed her hand and said, "No, Maida, that is hot!" She stopped, looked at me, then opened her right hand and pointed to her burn that she got when we were at my mom's house. I was just so shocked! She had remembered what happens when something is hot. After she got burned at my mom's house, every time we'd see the nightlight she burned her hand on, she'd point at it and I'd say, "Hot...Owie...Hot," and I guess that I did a pretty good job of teaching her! I had no idea that she'd even remember the nightlight, how it gave her an owie, or that it was hot, let a lone apply those words and consequences to other situations. Very cool!

1 comments:

Hannah said...

Oh Poor thing. They are so amazing what they can grasp and realize. Sure do love them. I wish you lived closer. Emily and Maida would be such good playmates. Emily knows hot too but it is because she has burned her mouth with food. Now anytime I put hot food on her tray I just say hot and she starts blowing on it. So precious. I can't believe Maida is walking. WOw--