I got a couple different calls last night asking about our dermatologist appointment and I'm sorry that I didn't call anyone back. I was pooped! We have been gone until about 10:00 both Monday and Tuesday nights. We had a cookout on Monday and last night one of Erik's med school prof's invited us over to have Alaskan Salmon and Halibut that she caught herself up in Alaska! It was wonderful! Maida wasn't too much of a fan, though.
Erik wasn't able to go to the dermatologist with me yesterday, so I had to try to understand the best I could and now I'll try to relay that info to you. I brought my computer along to the derm with all of the pictures we have documented of the rash since January. We saw a team of dermatologists and here is what they came up with... They think that she got a virus from the poxvirus family while in Oklahoma, creating the first (and worst) of her rashes. (This was funny to me because none of the four other doctors we saw previous to this thought that the first rash was virus-related.) After returning from Oklahoma, they suspect that Maida's body wasn't able to fully fight off this virus, causing Eczema to set in. The virus has not only created Eczema, but has also led to the development of Molluscum Contagiosum lesions, which she has under her arms and in her armpits. These lesions are white bubbles on her skin, similar to warts, that are very contagious with skin-to-skin contact, especially in little kids. They are non-cancerous and do not affect any internal organs.
Treatment for Maida is kind of on a wait-and-see basis. We are hoping the the Molluscum Contagiosum goes away on its own, however as long as the Molluscum Contagiosum is there, the Eczema will be present also because if she has the Mollusum Contagiosum, her immune system isn't strong enough to fight off the Eczema either. If the Mollusm Contagiosum gets too out of hand, they can be frozen with liquid nitrogen, however the dermatologist didn't think we'd have to do that at this point. We see an Allergist on the 9th and may find out more then about other potential factors in this rash. Until then Maida will be using a new steroid that they prescribed yesterday and also taking some Zyrtec at night as needed for itching.
Thanks for all the concern. We appreciate your thoughts and prayers. It's nice to finally have some sort of an answer.
Erik wasn't able to go to the dermatologist with me yesterday, so I had to try to understand the best I could and now I'll try to relay that info to you. I brought my computer along to the derm with all of the pictures we have documented of the rash since January. We saw a team of dermatologists and here is what they came up with... They think that she got a virus from the poxvirus family while in Oklahoma, creating the first (and worst) of her rashes. (This was funny to me because none of the four other doctors we saw previous to this thought that the first rash was virus-related.) After returning from Oklahoma, they suspect that Maida's body wasn't able to fully fight off this virus, causing Eczema to set in. The virus has not only created Eczema, but has also led to the development of Molluscum Contagiosum lesions, which she has under her arms and in her armpits. These lesions are white bubbles on her skin, similar to warts, that are very contagious with skin-to-skin contact, especially in little kids. They are non-cancerous and do not affect any internal organs.
Treatment for Maida is kind of on a wait-and-see basis. We are hoping the the Molluscum Contagiosum goes away on its own, however as long as the Molluscum Contagiosum is there, the Eczema will be present also because if she has the Mollusum Contagiosum, her immune system isn't strong enough to fight off the Eczema either. If the Mollusm Contagiosum gets too out of hand, they can be frozen with liquid nitrogen, however the dermatologist didn't think we'd have to do that at this point. We see an Allergist on the 9th and may find out more then about other potential factors in this rash. Until then Maida will be using a new steroid that they prescribed yesterday and also taking some Zyrtec at night as needed for itching.
Thanks for all the concern. We appreciate your thoughts and prayers. It's nice to finally have some sort of an answer.

0 comments:
Post a Comment