Sunday, October 7, 2007

Erik's White Coat Ceremony

We have had a great weekend! On Friday night my parents came to town and on Saturday was Erik's White Coat Ceremony. It was a gorgeous ceremony, very formal and very special. There were families and friends that traveled from everywhere to be there and the medical school really treated us all like very special people! Not only was the ceremony special with great guest speakers and even a traditional Native American performance (unique to the medical school of Duluth), the reception was awesome too! They served us HUGE pieces of cheese cake, any flavor you wanted, and chocolate fondued fruit with several different types of wine to choose from. And of course coffee and punch. The students all showed the families around the medical school and it was especially cool for us to see where Erik spends 95% of his time right now. Here are some pictures from the weekend and of Erik getting his white coat. [If you don't know what a White Coat Ceremony is, it is a ceremony held by medical schools and some pharmacy schools to honor the students as they receive their very first white coat. They are usually "coated" by someone special (like the Dean) and in Erik's case, this will be the white coat that he will wear when he's in the hospitals these next few years. To Erik's surprise, this ceremony wasn't just a "dumb thing" but a very significant event in his journey to being a doctor. He also received his first stethoscope!]
Bumpa and Maida, Maida at the Ceremony in a dress from Nanna

Erik getting "coated," Erik walking off stage, One of the Native American performer

Erik, us, and Mom and Dad, Our Family, Us in Erik's chair in his classroom

On a side note, Maida got her first cold! She is so sick. Avery, the other little baby that I watch is also sick with the same cold and neither one of them have slept... and either have their parents! Well, I take that back, either has Avery's parents or Maida's Mommy! (Erik doesn't wake up with Maida at night.) So, please pray that these little babies will get better soon! And also that the cold doesn't turn into an ear infection, cause I hear those aren't fun. Pray, pray, pray! Please also pray for my cousin Melody and her baby. You can read all about her on her blog: http://gbyrdshouse.blogspot.com
Thanks!!!

2 comments:

Aubrey said...

What a special thing! How exciting! Your little family is so cute!! Tell Erik I said "congrats"!

Hannah said...

That is neat that they do that. How cool that he will be a dr. Joel needs to go to school for a better profession. I don't know how we will ever make more and not be like this. I hate him working two jobs and working other peoples kids.
Poor Maida-- Sickness sucks-- Believe me-I know. Abby just lastnight woke up with the croupy cough. Extremely crabby-- I want to kill her---:-)
Hope you are doing well.