Saturday, March 8, 2008

Maida's Nine-Month Appointment... and random other things!

The last couple days have been so great! Having mom here was the best thing that could have happened this week. I was kind of stressed out with everything that I needed to get done, but now that she’s gone, and I look back on everything that got done, I feel great! She was a lot of help. We caught up with all the laundry, re-organized my closet, went through and sorted out Maida’s too-small clothes and also re-organized her drawers, we filed all of our papers that have been piling up since last May (I actually had boxes of papers that needed to be filed!!), and we made a trip to the mall so that I could return some things from a shopping trip Erik and I took last weekend. I also received my new diapers in the mail, so mom helped me wash those. In between loads of laundry, on Friday morning we took Maida in for her nine-month appointment (even though she’s already ten months!).


Maida’s ears looked a lot better, so Dr. Whittworth took Maida off the antibiotic because it was causing really bad diarrhea and blood in her stools. Maida was 29 inches (75th percentile) and 21 pounds, 11 ounces (95th percentile). Dr. Whittworth said that Maida was very advanced for her age. She explained to us that most babies are usually advanced in either vocal skills or motor skills, and it’s really rare to see a baby advanced in both of these areas. Well, Maida is advanced in both of these areas. We are so proud of her!

Erik is still at his first drill weekend and seems to be doing well. We talk every night. I miss him like crazy, but am still very happy with his decision to join the Army. I love being a stay-home mom and it would never be possible without Erik’s service in the guards. Here's a picture of his new hair cut! (Okay, just kidding, we were just fooling around!)

Maida is changing so much everyday. Her teeth really make her look different! She now knows what a snake, dog, and lion says. She can sing and dance. She points at things. She loves to feed herself, even tries to use a spoon now. She really loves animals and can spot a dog and duck a mile away. She’s walking all over the place and would rather walk than crawl. She loves to climb in things, over things, and under things (The picture to the right is her in the bottom cupboard of her changing table!). She loves to talk on the phone and holds it up to her ear, even when no one is on the other line. She can say “hi” and wave. She really didn’t like it when Amma left today, she actually cried when Amma started waving bye-bye! She laughs out loud randomly at herself. She’s so full of love and gives kisses and squeezes all the time. She has now learned where her hair is and already knew where her eyes and nose were. She knows how to go up stairs, and would go down too if we let her! She has just recently taken to Erik in a much different way and is very much a daddy's girl. When he's gone during the day, we have to walk around several times and point to all the pictures of daddy. Her favorite show is American Idol and she knows when it's on, even when she can't see the tv, because she knows the music. Barkley! is her best friend and she loves to torment him. He takes it pretty well! She loves to discover new things and especially when it comes to food. Here is one of my favorite videos of her discovering ketchup! It was so funny to see her dip her finger into the ketchup, over and over.

I have finally put the pictures from Oklahoma on our shutterfly webpage, if you are interested in seeing them. Thanks again to Erik's mom and dad for letting us stay with you and feeding us all the time!!

2 comments:

Hannah said...

soo adorable. She is really smart Kara. Abby was always advanced in both too but more so in vocal than motor. Emily is more in vocal too. She is not as advanced as what Abby was though either. I always love reading your blog and seeing how Maida is. It is one of my hilites in the week.

Kara Scharrer said...

Thank you, Hannah. You are too sweet. I love reading your blog too, in fact, last week when you didn't update for a whole week, it almost killed me! ;) Abby was very advanced too! I remember her, always seeming like she was waaaay older than she really was. I wish that I could get to know Emily too, I'm sure she's just as smart.